Board of Directors
Kristen Howes- President
Ruth Vickers- Vice President
Linda Stone- Secretary/Treasurer
Scott Key Center began operations in March 1966. They provided services for all ages, children and adults through September 1978. The passage of Public Law 94-142 shifted responsibility for children with disabilities to the Board of Education and thus the Scott Key Center became an adult developmental center in 1978.
Scott Key Center began with three clients and one instructor at the Staley Park Field House off of Motter Avenue. Several months later a move was made to the old emergency hospital behind the Montevue Home. Six years later, Scott Key Center moved to the B wing of Rock Creek School and in May 1981 moved to present location at 1050 Rocky Springs Road.
In December 1979 the Scott Key Center Board of Directors entered into an agreement with the Frederick County Commissioners to make the Scott Key Center a county agency under the Health Department.
Through the many years in operation the Scott Key Center has provided adult day care services, vocational training and employment services to its clients. Recently, Scott Key Center has gone through another organizational transformation, with an emphasis on employment and integration into the community where people can be as independent and involved as possible. Scott Key Center offers and array of services such as Day Habilitation, Community Access, Custodial Enclaves, and Competitive Integrated Employment.
The people we serve are at the center of all our work. We bring families, friends, and professionals together on their behalf. Our work is to help a person progress toward maximum independence and community inclusion. Our goal is to support people in developing the functional autonomy required to be successful in their community of choice. Today we are an organization that supports approximately 120 individuals.